When we started this mess of a blog, Elizabeth and I were on a Lenten mission to completely eliminate added sugar from our diets. Since those 40 days of
Maltitol and Maltitol
But, we do allow ourselves some leeway. And, we don't restrain ourselves too much with the following "Hells Yes" sweeteners (because they are lower glycemic than the others):
Liquid or green leaf Stevia
Generally, we believe in all things in moderation. Accordingly, as we motor along our way (i.e., working, mom'ing, picking kids up, dropping kids off, making quick and easy meals, etc.), Elizabeth and I tend to get more and more lax.
While perfection is not attainable and we are not in hot pursuit of it, every now and then it becomes necessary to crack down and refocus on our health and fitness goals. That's when it is time to throw down the gauntlet.
That's why, every now and then we do what we call "The 28 day Crackdown on Crapola."
Here are the rules:
1. Avoid all refined and added sugars. Keep it under 20 grams per day. (Naturally occurring sugars such as that found in dairy and fruit do not count.)
2. Avoid white flour and white rice. Limit starch intake to wheat and whole grains.
3. No starches after 4 p.m. This is not a blanket "no carbs" rule. Veggies are okay. So, with the exception of white potatoes, if it grew in the ground or from a tree, eat it.
4. Though shall not sticketh randometh bites of crapeth into thy pie hole.
5. No more than one cocktail per day . . . unless you are blogging and need inspiration.